|Out And About in New Mills.|
Market Street c. 1905
Hyde Bank Road
Union Road c.1919
Toll-bar and toll-house on Church Road at junction with Marsh Lane.
|Bus from Hayfield to Stockport passing through Hague Bar in the early days of the service. Behind the bus is Hague Bar Mill, at that time a rubber works. c 1927|
Market Street Town Hall on Horizon
|Albion Road looking up with Queens Hotel and junction with Union Road at front right. Circa 1927.|
Exterior of Providence Chapel before alterations and extensions. Chapel Street later renamed Mellor Road - circa 1913.
Lane. Shows Pineapple Inn, Grapes Inn and Cock Inn. c1910.
Part of Windsor Castle Lodging House visible on right. St James' Hall at top left.
Union Road - ( Is the boy bottom right holding a chicken?).
Steam train coming under Church Road Bridge towards New Mills c.Early 1950
Newtown Albion Road
Bate Mill High Walls Farm on the hill c.1950
From a postcard with 1913 postmark.
Torr Mill, Kinder View, Sheffield Railway Line, ruins of Barnes Mill behind.
Rock Street, Chain Horse House, etc., in background.
Newtown Toll Gate
|Mount Pleasant Methodist Free Church with drinking fountain and gable end of Dr Anderton's house, Thornfield on Spring Bank. c. 1907|
Mount Pleasant Methodist Free Church, Spring Bank, soon after being built in 1892
The oldest grave in the yard is 1839, and the last burial was in 1972. The church itself was erected in 1892 and closed in 1980. The foundation stone was laid by J Arnfield Esq in May 1892. The chapel was destroyed by fire in August 1993.
|The Wesleyan Chapel and Ollersett Moor St. Georges Road and Works in the background on the right.|
New Mils Market Street
|Employment & Business in New Mills|
July 21st 1900, 29, Market Street in New Mills, I believe the woman in the doorway is Emily Toovey. The young woman with the pram may very well be her niece Annie Smith.
Image and information: Elizabeth Smith Dash
Mottershead's pork butchers shop, 13 High Street -Circa 1899.
On the step William Mottershead born 1893. On the pavement Arthur Herbert Mottershead, born 1892.
The business was established by John Henry Mottershead (father of Arthur) about 1880. John Henry retired in 1924 and Arthur took on the business until 1938. The business then closed down and the property was made into a house.
New Mills Coop Bread Van outside Coop Furnising High Street.
Ironmongers shop, Market Street, No 27. c. 1900
This was the shop of Thomas William Stafford, who lived on Chapel Street. His son Obadiah was the ironmonger. By 1916 it had become the Co-operative Shoe shop. Demolished 1981.In 1911 it was occupied as a lockup shop by the Co-operative Society.
J A Ingham's clothing shop, 1 Union Road. Now Barclays Bank.
The White Hart Hotel
|Co-op coal wagon in front of Co-op garages on Meadow Street. Decorated for Thornsett Carnival 1927 - The driver was Clifford Wild who in 1984 lived at 108 Buxton Road. the vehicle was a Dennis motor wagon.|
Butcher's shop of Stephen Unwin, 67 Church Road. This later became Unsworths undertakers
|The Square, Low Leighton. Low Leighton Post Office. The shop to the right of the Post Office was B Ratcliffe's butchers.|
J D Lomax, Family Grocer, 44 Market Street, New Mils.
Foy's corner showing Foy's greengrocer's stall and the end of Market Street. The Railway, Alsop and Clayton decorators, and the Crescent. c 1970.
The George Hotel and The Masons Arms High Street
taxis (one a Model T) outside the Conservative Club, Union Road for
The cars were owned by G.A. Redfern of Spring Bank. The driver on the right is Wilf Burton of Cresswell Avenue. circa 1925
Advert for charabancs from G. and A. Redfern, Spring Bank. April 1923.
|George Alsop - Born 1864 in New Mills, High Peak, Derbyshire Died 27 Mar 1938.|
Alsop and Clayton Painters c.1924
Market Street. c.1900
late 1920's 'Golden Boot' was run by Mr Street, Alsop and Clayton's
shop also shown.
|Market Street, New Mills looking towards Town Hall. Wyatt's bread van in centre of road. Hunters shop on right hand side, with manager G West in the doorway.|
Arden Street - Church Road, Steam lorry of John Wm Swindells c.1910
J. W. Swindells Yard
North West Hotel Albion Road Newtown.
|Grocers shop belonging to Jesse Hawley on Dyehouse Lane at junction with High Street. c:1900|
Hare and Hounds Inn Low Leighton
Advert for New Mills Gas
Company, Gas Works, New Mills - 1924.
Chaple Street now Mellor Road
Edge Colliery No 2, or New Pit. Situated by the side of Oven Hill Road.
on Ollersett Moor at SK022858. The reservoir is still there (1985) but only traces of the building foundations remain.
Hunters Market Street New Mills
The Hare and Hounds Low Leighton
William Henry DYER
William Dyers Hairdressers High Street 1899.
Perhaps his two sons in doorway.
William Dyer with his Family.
New Mills Post Office, 62 Market Street - Circa 1900
Jubilee Cafe, 86-88 Market Street now William Barton's Furniture. Also shows opticians shop at 90 Market Street - 1961
Pott, Herbalist Shop, 76 Albion Road. Showing Albert Potts (son of James
Pott) with his wife Minnie and children.
Albert Potts ran the shop until he died in 1953 in his seventies. The shop was then sold.
Street / High Street junction. Looking up Market Street towards Town Hall,
no. 18 at front left.
High Street is the road on the right. On the left is a well which was piped under the road about 1945. It can now be seen in High Street.
to be back of Higginbottom's shop, Market Street.
The yokes on the wall were for bullocks used for ploughing. According to James Garside, writing in 1933,the old gentleman is Isaac Watt Boulton, Ashton locomotive engineer. (It seems unlikely that the photo was taken in New Mills).
Union Road, New Mills looking down. photo booth at front right. No. 1 at front left is J.A. Ingham, clothier now Barclays Bank. Sign for Beverley's shoeshop at no. 15. Chimney of Torr Mill can be seen, the mill burned down in 1912.
Hobsons Bakehouse their shop was on Market Street.
|Butcher's shop and barber's, top of Torr Top Street. Can be seen on the above image on the left, Broome's butchers was at the junction of Torr Top Street and Meal Street|
Rock Street, showing Torr Top Mission, and board advertising Howard's Decorators.
|Possibly Howard's Painters and Decorators workmen on Chaple Street/Mellor Road a member of the Howard family resided with his family in one of the cottages about 3 doors above the shop. The shop was at one time Wyatt's general store.|
Bioscope, Jodrell Street. Site later occupied by Art Theatre
|Captain Payne was a showman who ran a touring bioscope exhibition. It appeared at wakes week fairs throughout the north of England from 1898 to 1912.|
Margaret Randles, wife of Joseph Randles in doorway of the Printers
Arms, Dyehouse Lane.
Watford Bridge Printworks circ: 1920
Market Street c.1965
Union Road New Mills
Market Street - Image Donald Ibbotson Collection
A fine example of the work of New Mills photographer T Randles. In this instance Frederick Morris born 1876 New Mills and his bride.
Mr. Randles address is shown as 41, Bridge Street, I have reason
to believe that his darkrooms were beneath 45, Bridge Street. -
In the early 1950's my uncle, George Thompson rented no. 45 which
had beneath it four cellars, one of which contained hundreds of
glass plate negatives. There was and still is an entrance from the
lane that joins Mellor Road to Bridge Street. Very sad to say they
were all consigned to the dustbin over several collection days.
|Grapes Hotel, Dyehouse Lane. Landlord Oswald Kirk standing in doorway. c1900.|
Horse Inn, Mellor Road. c. 1902. Part of Broadhurst Farm can be seen
on extreme right.
From left:- Harry Griffin, his eldest daughter Ada, his wife Mary Ann, Blind Tom, ? , daughter Florence Griffin, daughter Edith Griffin.
of William Sharples, Pharmacist and Wine Merchant, 36 Market Street.
He is listed in Market Street on the census returns for 1891, 1901 and 1911, aged 48 in 1911.
|Marshall's Bakers High Street New Mills - Mrs Marshall baby Frank Marshall|
Market Street Brenands Bread Cart Hayfield.
|Homes in New Mills.|
Pair of large semi-detached houses on Spring Bank, near junction with Mellor Road. c1900.
Now called The Grange and Cliff Lodge. These Victorian villas were built in 1877, probably for managers at the mills. Spring Bank was just being developed as a residential area.
Torr Top Street New Mills
No.13 and No,15 Tor Top Street - Now the site of the Coop.
Brookside Square c1938 from Hyde Bank New Mills was used as cattle-pen for Livesley's slaughter-house. Formerly it was a cattle pound known as the Pinfold.
Leighton c:1920 looking towards junction with High Hill Road.
The Co-op on the left and the semis was built in 1908.
Brookside New Mills now demolished.
Bank Road and end of Dale Road under construction. New Mills secondary
school in background.
Dale Road was built by and named after Joseph Dale Swindells who lived in the bungalow on the extreme bottom right of the picture.
Bank cottages, Hyde Bank Road.|
Possibly members of the Higginbottom family who ran the foundry at the end of the row and lived in the cottages.
Construction of Council houses at New Street / Park Road.
From the Donald Ibbbotson Collection
|Events in New Mills|
|Brookside, floods. th watermark level can be seen under first floor windows on front of building to the left. June 1930|
Salem Cottages and Salem Bridge, after floods. c1930
Flood May 8th 1906 the Lodging House, Dye House Lane, in the background.
|Car advertising Beverley's
Shoes outside J P Beverley's Popular Boot Stores, 15 Union Road.|
The car was owned by the Wharmby Family and seated in it are Charlie and Bertie Wharmby, sons of James and Elizabeth Wharmby
Hague Bar, New Mills - Football team. c. 1910
|Elephants from Gandy's Circus in Albion Road, near junction with Union Road. Shop at 10 Albion Road on left. The circus was visiting Newtown Football Field Circa 1965|
|White Hart, top of Dyehouse Lane. Possibly Sunday School anniversary.|
Weslyan Chapel St. George's Road, New Mills, with Chapel House adjoining. Now demolished. This picture c. 1924.
tragic story is attached to a grave close to the chapel, over which there
is a stone containing the following inscription:
Sacred to the memory of Paul Mason who departed this life April 9th
1813, aged 33 years."
At New Mills Wakes in 1812, a number of men, bent on having a lark, made a raid on the farm house at Green Head, between New Mills and Bugsworth, and finding no money, damaged the furniture and destroyed the milk and butter. In those days this was a capital offence. No one had the least idea who were the culprits, but detachments of Scots Greys invaded New Mills on several occasions, and the result was that about fifteen men were tried at Derby. The general, indeed, almost the unanimous opinion was that the witnesses were altogether wrong, and all were discharged but three. Although these three protested their innocence, they were sentenced to be hung, and one of these was Paul Mason, who was declared to be innocent, and protested to his last breath. Here is an exact copy of the letter he wrote to his wife:
Gaol, April 5. 1813.
Poor Paul Mason's body was brought to New Mills, and strange to say, on its arrival the body was found to be warm. Several gurgling sounds as though life was not quite extinct, were emitted from the throat, and in the opinion of some people his life might have been saved had means been taken to resuscitate him. It will be seen his "little Hannah" lived eight years after her father, and although there are no more inscriptions on the stone, the chapel records are complete as to the occupants of the grave. Here they are:
sold to Paul Mason.
will thus be seen that " poor little Joseph '' lived to be 25,
and " poor little James'' to be an old man of 73.
Engine 'Susan' and firemen at Fire Station in Hague Bar Road. c.1930's
( Another engine Jean was acquired in 1936.) Man on left Councillor J W Cochrane.
Man on right with bowler hat was Mr W C Sheard (council surveyor).
Driver is Esmond Redmill. Captain to right is James Lampard. Group of 4 firemen to left of ladder: Front left: Frank Hardman, back left: Stephen Rose. Group of 3 firemen to right of ladder
New Mills Wesleyan Sunday School picnic.
of Union Road Bridge.1884
|Construction Union Rd - Church rd Bridge New Mills - Work men including Henry Goulding , possibly 2nd from left middle row.|
Lorry crash on Union Road bridge, showing Torr Top Mill chimney. May 1931
Flood of River Sett with Watford Printworks behind. May 8th 1906
Market Street decorated for a carnival in aid of the Indian Famine Fund July 1900.
May 8th 1906 New Mills Flood
Opening New Mills Car Park June 29th 1965
|From left: Councillor F M Bullough, Councillor K R Gordon (Urban District Council chairman), Councillor E Oldfield, Jack Bailey (Clerk to Urban District council), Edwin Wade, Councillor W H Ferguson, Councillor R D Swinburn, John Pearson (surveyor), Dennis Vernon, Councillor E F Rowbottom, Harold Etchells (clerk's department), Councillor Dr L Millward, Peter Bowden (clerk's department), Councillor F S Kitchen.|
Pickerwood Temperance Jazz Band.c1920
|Spring Bank, near Spring Mount Chapel. Laying electricity cable. Man on left is Samuel Swann, foreman. c1930|
|New Mills Library under construction 1909. Second from left is Fred Boyle who was working for his father Sam.|
of Edward Godward. 1908
Loading coffin into hearse at Cliff House, Albion Road where he lived.
Funeral of Edward Godward. Procession on Church Road railway bridge
Edward Godward 18411908 was the owner of Brunswick Mill on the Peak Forest Canal, a cotton mill, He became the first chairman of New Mills UDC, in 1894.
It is now a sweet factory - Swizzels-Matlow.
|Engine and men believed to be in Marsh Lane area. Engine has name plate Heathcote and Hudswell Clarke and Co. No 455 LEEDS 1896 Railway Foundry. Mr Joyce - born about 1857 - is one of the men.|
|The People of New Mills|
of the Congregational Church, Mellor Road, in grounds of Manse.
Back row. From left: 1. Miss Woodward, 5. Miss Clara Woolley (aged about 18 years, aunt to Mrs Handford), 6. Polly Yates, 10. Mrs Whitaker, 11. Miss Alice Salisbury./ Middle row: 2. Miss Knowles, 4. Mrs Richardson ( sister to Mrs Whitaker). Front row: 1. Mrs Ruth Jepson (aged about 15 years, and sister to Miss Woolley). c:1910
of people outside front door of Wesley Mount, Spring Bank.
The lady in the bath chair is believed to be the daughter of Mr Scott, Methodist minister.
|Wedding Group outside Hillcroft, 8 Longlands Road. Bride Cecilia Wharmby, Groom John Peter Beverley. Jan 1904.|
Chapel Street (Mellor Road circa 1910.
Girl standing on pavement on left was later Mrs Harrop. Woman holding child in her arms is Ethel Lee. Group at rear are the Thompson family from Stafford Street. Man at rear right is Mr Oldham. Lady in doorway on right is Mrs Oldham. Three boys sitting left to right: Jack Richardson, Jack Kelling, Harry Brownhill whose father kept the White Hart
Mills Congregational Church choir outing.
Top row on right is Roland Higginbottom, of market Street ironmongers, and his fiancee Edith Rigg. c. 1905
Thought to be billiards at New Mills Conservative Club.
New Mills Home Guard Dispatch Riders on Town Hall forecourt WW2.
From left Mr Spencer (from Thornsett), Alf Smith (barber), Eric Livesley (Hayfield chemist), Frank Marshall (baker), Edgar Thorpe (driver), Alf Clapham (cabinet maker), Mr Greenwood (engineer).
Mills Congos (Congregational Church) choir outing. circa 1905.
Top row on right is Roland Higginbottom, of Market Street ironmongers, and his fiancee Edith Rigg.
|Mr James and Mrs Elizabeth Wharmby in their car, thought to be the first in New Mills. James Wharmby was a grocer and corn-chandler who built Carlton Villas on Longlands Road.|
Providence Independent Chapel, Chapel Street now Mellor Road c.1910
Lady on left walking away is Miss Jessie Howard, dressmaker. Ethel Lee is holding youngster in arms. Other people include Mrs Harrop, Eva Shaw, Jack Keeling, Alf Howard. Sitting on the wall are the four girls from the Thompson family of Stafford Street.
group. Bride Beatrice Turner, groom Frank Eaton who had a cobbler's shop in
High Street, New Mills. c:1905 - 1910
|Francis George Eaton and wife Beatrice he was born 1891 Eyam Derbyshire, Died Mar 1936 Hayfield, Derbyshire.|
Hayfield Union Workhouse, Ollersett View, Lowleighton, New Mills.
| || |
Mr R. Reynolds, Workhouse Master at New Mills for 27 years, died in May 1930. He was formerly Master of the Ashton-under-Lyne Workhouse.
Congregational Chapel, Mellor Road (Chapel Street) . Man on right is Fred Boyle. Man in centre is George Allen. c1905 - Photographer J Randles, Bridge Street.
Penny-farthing bicycle. Men at Watford Bridge Printworks.
Location - Albion Road now the Bar BQ Chipshop. c,1910
built by Mr W. Prince in his shop at 94 Albion Rd. See above picture.|
Photo in Torr Vale Road in 1904.
High Street New Mills - Picture by Livesley Family
Mr John Andrew Mason, born 1905 died 1976, on a motor bike. New Mills.
|Schools in New Mills.|
|New Mills Infant
School, Meadow Street.
Teachers - left hand side Miss Arnfield, right hand side Miss Peck. Photo taken in infants classroom. .c1907-08
|Spring Bank School
- Standard 6
Back row: Arthur Brownbill, Sidney White, Fred Weatherley, Frank Oldfield,
Eric Stanway, Herbert Higginbottom. Second row: Fred Bonsall (his first teaching appointment - he later became a councillor), Herbert Platt, Harry Crossland,
Ronald Baines, Frank Norris, Eric Wain. Front row: Arthur Boardman, Harold Lee,
Albert Green, Walter Platt (aged about 12), Walter Lomas. c1928
New Mills Council School Spring Bank c. 1907
group. Spring Bank Infant School. 1928 or 1929.
Middle row: Doreen Statham, ? Slack, Betty Wharmby, Frank Marshall, Peggy Wharmby (twin of Betty), Hilda Smith, Marjorie Wright, Sylvia White,
Front row: Doris Wild, Wright Storer, Elsie Jackson.
Mills Council School. Class 2 - Spring Bank, Meadow Street. c1913